Friday, February 15, 2019

Neighborhood Predator

I finally got a great view, and plenty of shots of, our neighborhood hawk.

Hawks are nothing new to the neighborhood.   Boston has seen a resurgence of our hawk population over the years.  Two years ago a hawk did a nice job of getting rid of the rabbits in the community garden.   

Lately I've seen a young one flying around the neighborhood (the South End of Boston), including opening my shades in the morning to find him perched on my porch (only to fly away upon seeing the shade go up.

So today on my day off I'm looking out the back door watching the bird feeder.   Usual crowd today;  House and White Throated sparrows and House Finches.   Lots of action.   Then - all at once, they all up and fly to the left.   I'm thinking maybe a Jay or Starling was coming in fast and scaring them off.

To my surprise there it is - the hawk swooping in, coming close to the porch, then sweeping upwards.   Thinking he had to be going to the tree I dashed to the living room, grabbed the SLR, then back onto the porch in my slippers.

There he (she?) was - perched on the tree close to the deck.   He hung out long enough to get a great series of shots...     Seems to be a juvenile Coopers Hawk, based on the chest spotting and rounded tail feathers.


20190215-DSC_9828.jpg
Quite stately.   Always looking like he's about to attack....


Some strange behavior spotted - he kept raising his right leg, fully withdrawing it into his folds.  The web says birds often do this to conserve heat.  Even though it wasn't that cold out perhaps he was taking a moment to warm up.

20190215-DSC_9835.jpg
Hawk, or flamingo?


More first time behavior for me - a few times he would rub his beak on either side of the branch.  Not sure if he was cleaning it.  or, as a juvenile, this is a way of scraping off old skin or sharpening his beak.  Found a blog post that tells a little more about bird beaks...  And I've since learned this is called Feaking.

20190215-DSC_9842.jpg
Tree as napkin?


While snapping, two Blue Jays returned, and expressed their displeasure about our hawk - squawking bloody murder - either trying to drive him off or warning others of his presence.

20190215-DSC_9837.jpg
Jay unhappy the hawk is in the next tree.


20190215-DSC_9851.jpg
Close-up of the watchful


20190215-DSC_9818.jpg
I've been spotted!!  The rounded tail feathers identify Coopers hawk (vs red-tailed)


He ended up being there for about an hour, then was gone.   it looked as if he went to the adjacent park, but I couldn't find him again.    Perhaps to return another day???


Thanks for visiting - see more of my birding photos on flickr here


And check out this blog entry as to why we may be seeing more hawks in the city....




1 comment: